San Francesco is a Gothic-style, Roman Catholic church in central Modena, Italy. Franciscan friars were present in Modena early, by 1221, when Francis was still alive. But as was their custom, their first monastery and church were located outside of town, in an area prone to flooding. It was decided to move to this site in 1244, and construction began of a monastery and a church dedicated to the recently canonized Francis of Assisi. In 1501, the bell-tower was damaged by an earthquake. Reconstruction occurred in the church starting in 1535, causing the destruction of the lateral chapels and movement of the choir into the apse behind the altar, and covering much of the previous painted decoration. It was used by the Frati Minori, but they were expelled in 1774 by the Ducal authorities, who reduced the city to five parishes. By the late 18th-century had been devolved into use as stables and housing for animals. More information...
According to PR-model, parrocchiasanfrancesco.net is ranked 806,427th in multilingual Wikipedia, in particular this website is ranked 53,411th in Italian Wikipedia.
The website is placed before tourinkerala.com and after cayambismusicpress.com in the BestRef global ranking of the most important sources of Wikipedia.